Careys Building and Civil Engineering have been awarded a highways infrastructure contract by Mayo County Council National Roads Design Office (NRDO).
The N59 project consists of road realignment and improvement works of approximately 2.65km of the N59 National Secondary Road between Newport and Westport along with:
• Realignment of 5 side road junctions
• Widening of two road bridges
• Reconfiguration of 6 no. culverts
• Construction of 40m retaining wall
• Various reconfigured accommodation work accesses
The scheme will primarily consist of on-line widening with some isolated sections of off-line construction. The cross section of the proposed roadway is Type 3 Single Carriageway with sections of the existing Great Western Greenway incorporated into the carriageway cross section at various locations and some offline realignment of the greenway itself.
The project start date is August 2018 with completion expected in October 2019. Progress to date includes:
• Approval and implementation of Traffic management plans
• Installation of EIR ducting along the existing greenway to facilitate the removal existing utilities
• Grading and making good the existing greenway following utility installation
• Construction of a new onsite deposition area to cater for excavated material during road construction